Monday, June 05, 2006

Farming and Flowers

Day 5 June 4th, Saturday

I took a little stroll by myself this morning. We had breakfast when I got back. Bajang took Toshi for a walk during breakfast. Toshi sat on her support stroller. I was worried about them, but Hiro-chan assured me that the whole town is nice.

They have all been neighbors for decades. No one moves in Japan unless they move because of marriage where they never divorce or a job which they never leave. Until Hiroko came to America, she lived in this house her entire life. Her Grandma has lived here her entire life.
During the walk Toshi jumped out the メgrandma strollerモ and ran to a dog. Grandma was frantic because she could not catch up to him. A neighbor brought him home. Hiroko and I went and got grandmaユs stroller.

We spent some time at Hirokoユs familyユs farm. Hiroko and her mom scattered manure, her dad plowed with a tractor, grandma uprooted green pea plants, and Toshi and I picked peas off of the uprooted plants. All the neighbors seemed to be working on their respective farms.
We came home and had lunch. Naoko took Toshi to her neighborsユ house so Toshi could play with their kids. Toshi came back happy.

Everyone took a Sunday afternoon nap. Afterwards Naoko took Hiroko, Toshi, and me to a Shrine in Amagi and a Flower Garden. The Flower Garden consisted of a huge field filled with pink and red flowers. It is in the shadow of a Kirin Beer factory. The flower place is called メBeer Farmモ and is financed by the company.

On the way home we stopped at a market and then at Toyotoshiユs little brotherユs family. A market girl loved Toshi. Naoko wanted to show off Toshi to her relatives.

I found out they (Hiroko's Uncleユs family) have internet access. He disinvited Naoko (in good humor) and Hiroko, Toshi, and I had dinner with Him, his wife, their daughter, and her boyfriend. He wanted me to drink with him soooo bad. Hiroko wanted me not to just as bad. I will leave it at that. :P

After they served us fried meat with sauce and fresh garlic and I checked my e-mail, we walked home. They live less then a 5 minute walk from Hirokoユs home.

When we got home we got ready for a family walk (tradition), We left Toshi with Fukuko (Hirokoユs sister) and went on an hour walk. On the way home we saw Fukuko and Toshi. Apparently Toshi cried a lot after we left and went looking for us. Fukuko followed him out where we found them.














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Toshi looks so Japanese and comfortable in his mom's culture!!!! Peb